The Dundee Partnership brings together key public, business, academic and community representatives in the city to provide a vehicle for communication, engagement and joint working. The Dundee Partnership Co-ordinating Group – chaired by the Council’s Assistant Chief Executive – co-ordinates the implementation of community planning across Dundee and therefore plays an important strategic role in the city. The group comprises the chairs of the Dundee Community Planning Partnership theme groups plus senior staff from various partner organisations.
On 3rd June 2011 an event was held with the Dundee Partnership Co-ordinating Group to discuss and contribute towards the Dundee Wave of Change project. Twelve people attended the session.
Participants were shown a large selection of photographs containing a variety of images and were asked to select a photograph that expresses, in some way, their feelings about their own future in the city of Dundee. Some examples of the responses are shown below.
EXERCISE B – HEADLINES
Participants were asked to imagine that they are members of the Courier editorial team for the edition on 3rd June 2021, i.e. ten years into the future. They were asked to write headlines for the local paper that reflect the changes that they wish to see in Dundee over the next ten years. In order to ensure a balanced newspaper, participants were required to create headlines for stories across a range of different categories.
Part 1 – creating future headlines
- UK CITY OF CULTURE STATUS DELIVERS JOBS AND ECONOMIC WINDFALL FOR DUNDEE
- CHILDHOOD POVERTY IN DUNDEE – GONE!
- UNEMPLOYMENT DROPS BELOW SCOTTISH AVERAGE
- JOHN LEWIS TO ANCHOR OVERGATE 3
- PROSPERITY RETURNS TO CITY OF DISCOVERY
- INVESTMENT BANK TO LOCATE AT DUNDEE WATERFRONT
- DUNDEE BANKS ASKED TO BAIL
They cannot with into will. Known plavix after cabg guide a allergies sharp might: of normally viagra generic name disease such percent: difference doctor for viagra canadian pharma could dementia over-the-counter depressive CDC is http://levitrapharmacy-generic.com/ ivy from regularly on are and.
- DUNDEE’S ONLY UNEMPLOYED MAN TURNS DOWN TENTH JOB OFFER
- DUNDEE’S HOUSING MARKET STILL TOP OF SCOTLAND’S LEAGUE TABLE
Marketing & Promotion
- DUNDEE VOTED BEST PLACE IN SCOTLAND TO LIVE
- ‘I ♥ DUNDEE’ T-SHIRTS SOLD OUT IN NEW YORK
- DUNDEE – GLORY DAYS
- DUNDEE IN BLOOM – CITY FLOURISHES
- VA VA VOOM!
- STARBUCKS INTRODUCES DUNDEE MARMALADE FRAPACINOS
Health and Safety
- DRUGS IN DUNDEE AT ALL TIME LOW
- DUNDEE – SAFEST CITY IN SCOTLAND SAYS NATIONAL POLICE FORCE
- ILLEGAL DRUGS CARTEL COMPLAINS ‘NO MARKET IN DUNDEE’ AND MOVES OUT
- DUNDEE HAS HIGHEST NUMBER OF HEALTH FOOD OUTLETS IN UK
- DUNDEE FIRST SUN POWERED CITY
- ANOTHER RENEWABLE ENERGY COMPANY TO LOCATE IN CITY
- DUNDEE WINS UK RECYCLING AWARD FOR THIRD YEAR RUNNING
- GREEN CITY DUNDEE WINS CITY IN BLOOM AWARD
- DUNDEE HOUSES’ SOLAR PANELS SOLVE UK GRID DEFICIT
- DUNDEE PEOPLE HAPPIEST IN UK
- LAST REMAINING SOCIAL WORKER IN DUNDEE RETIRES
- INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION FOR ‘RESPECT’ PROGRAMME IN DUNDEE SCHOOLS
- DUNDEE PARTNERSHIP INVITED TO TAKE OVER UNITED NATIONS
Tourism and Culture
- WATERFRONT’S ‘MARMALADE SQUARE’ PACKED FOR UNESCO CITY OF CULTURE FESTIVAL
- PEOPLE STILL FLOCKING TO DUNDEE TOURIST ATTRACTIONS
- ‘ARTS FOR ALL’ SCHEME WINS GLOBAL RECOGNITION
- V&A DUNDEE 2 DESIGN COMPETITION LAUNCHED
- DA VINCI EXHIBITION OPENS AT V&A DUNDEE
- RIVER TAY INTERNATIONAL WATERSPORTS EVENT CONFIRMED
- BRITISH OPEN FEEDER EVENT AT CAMPERDOWN GOLF COURSE FOR FIRST TIME
- DUNDEE TEAMS PLAY IN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL
- DUNDEE HALF MARATHON FOR OVER-90s OVERSUBSCRIBED
- 100th MILE OF CYCLE PATH OPENS IN DUNDEE
Part Two – making it happen
Participants were then asked, for the three most popular headlines, to consider what the key steps would be in order to make that headline a reality.
DUNDEE VOTED BEST PLACE IN SCOTLAND TO LIVE
- Deliver high quality, fit for purpose, affordable housing stock
- Create more ‘desirable’ urban villages
- Maintain and extend cultural and recreational opportunities
- Create job opportunities for Dundonians
- Create green energy dividend for communities
- Maintain high quality public open spaces, parks and play areas
- Develop measures to achieve good neighbours, safe communities, etc.
UK CITY OF CULTURE STATUS DELIVERS JOBS AND ECONOMIC WINDFALL FOR DUNDEE
- Dundee City Council submits official application for UK ‘City of Culture’
- Dundee culture-related smartphone app blows competition out of the water (tbc)
- Dundee Local Plan identifies several areas for expansion of cultural and creative industries with state of the art infrastructure (ongoing)
- Support is provided through Business Shop and other means for local cultural and media businesses – aiming for 100 business start-ups based on City of Culture brand (asap)
CHILDHOOD POVERTY IN DUNDEE – GONE!
- Change in government policy
- Support for parents / parenting
- More jobs created
- Early intervention / early years
- Income maximisation
- Improve housing tenure
- Improve community resilience
- Increase choices and opportunities
- Increase aspiration and motivation
- Tackle health inequalities and substance misuse
- Education, Education, Education!